KIDS GAME DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY (AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM)
Age Range: Grades 3 to 6
Prerequites: Suitable for students who have a keen interest in computer science. No prior experience is required. Good core values in the classroom is expected.
The Game Design and Development Academy is an academy which is focused on teaching kids how to design and develop their own games.
Kids will learn how to code while creating their own games. Throughout the year they will learn how to code with a variety of game making applications and take their logical thinking skills to a higher level.
Coding is an important skill to prepare students for the jobs which already exist and the jobs to be. Many more jobs are coming up which require good knowledge of coding and a computer science background. Through coding, students will learn about logic, computational thinking, improve their critical thinking and problem solving skills. What’s more, they get to build on their soft skills such as resilience, communication and learning to work with others successfully while working on their challenges. .
By learning how to code, students will enhance their digital literacy skills, improve their ability to focus on the tasks at hand and learn how to use the computer productively to their advantage. They will have a better understanding of how different programs work and the enjoyment that comes with thinking through things and creating something that works and is fun!
Benefits of learning how to code:
- Learn a variety game making applications through the year
- Improve the ability to focus
- Understand the game design process
- Develop computational thinking skills
- Develop problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Take on an iterative approach to problem solving
- Enhance Digital Literacy skills
- Build confidence and creativity
- Prepare for secondary education and projects at school and higher learning
- Prepare for the jobs of the future in a rapidly advancing technological world
- Develop patience, resilience and strong leadership skills in managing and advancing in technology
Kids Coding Academy Details Term 1, 2020 (Game Design & Development)
Mondays, 6.00 pm Class
9 week program each term
(Early booking required to secure an academy laptop)
Start date: Monday, 3 February 2020* (see * for make up lessons)
End date: Monday, 23 March 2020*
Session Time: 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm (Mondays)
Venue: Forest Hill College, 178 – 180 Mahoneys Road , Burwood East, VIC
Cost: $270 per term, per student
(Additional $10 late enrollment fee applies after Friday 7 December 2019. Please book early to avoid this payment. This greatly helps with program and resource planning.)
Term Dates for 2020:
Term 1 (9 weeks*) – Monday 3 February 2020 to Monday 23 March 2020
* Monday, 27 January 2020 is the Australia Day Public Holiday. The 9 week learning program will be made up with the schedule below.
* Monday, 9 March 2020 is the Labour Day Public Holiday. The 9 week learning program will be made up with the schedule below.
Make up Lesson Schedule, Term 1:
Monday, 10 February 2020 (extended lesson) from 6.00pm to 8.30pm.
Monday, 17 February 2020 (extended lesson) from 6.00pm to 8.30pm.
Monday, 24 February 2020 (extended lesson) from 6.00pm to 8.30pm.
Program Key Terms for Enrollments & Renewals
- Bookings /Renewals for every term can be done on this page.
- Fees can be paid anytime during the current term for the next term before the due date.
- Fees must be paid in full before a student can enter the program every term.
- There are no make up classes for this program if a student does not come for class. Public holidays are made up with either an extra lesson or session hours added on which will be decided by Innovate Academy.
- No parent / guardian is permitted to stay in the classroom as the program promotes independent learning.
- Laptops are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Please refer to notices from Innovate Academy for make up lessons and session changes during the term, if applicable.
Limited places available for students who do not have their own laptops. If the laptops have been booked out, other students may join this program on the condition that they BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Windows Laptop. If the maximum number of students is reached, registration will close.
Terms and Conditions apply.